interior header graphic of students
interior header mobile graphic of students

J-1 Scholar / Researcher Information

The Exchange Visitor Program was established by the U.S. Government to facilitate visitors from other countries to come to U.S. to participate in Educational and Cultural program. The objective of the program is to increase mutual understanding between the citizens of the U.S. and the Exchange Visitors countries. The visitors may participate in studies, research, teaching and receive training.

Exchange Visitors will get the J-1 visa from their program sponsors. Accompanying dependents (spouse and unmarried children of 21 years of age or younger) will get J-2 visa status. LA Tech offers J-1 status for the following categories: 

Researcher Maximum duration 60 months
Professor Maximum duration 60 months
Student As long as enrolled in a degree program

ISO will issue a DS2019 form “Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status” which the prospective visitor takes to a US Embassy/Consulate to apply for J-1 visa.

At the time of processing the DS2019 form, the EV must present evidence of financial support for the duration of the period stated in the DS2019 form. Minimum required financial support is given below:

Category Tuition & Fees Living Expenses (12 months) Books & Insurance Total
Undergrad Students $16,896 $8,500 $2,200 $27,596
Graduate Students $13,022 $9,000 $3135 $25,155
Researcher n/a $9,000 n/a $9,000*
Spouse n/a $5,000 n/a $5,000*
Each Child n/a $3,000 n/a $3,000*

*Does not include Mandatory Health Insurance and allowance for Books and School supplies. Cost is subject to change.

A DS2019 form is required 1) to obtain a J-1 visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad, 2) to extend the stay in the U.S., 3) to transfer from another institution to LA Tech and 4) to change visa status from another non-immigrant visa, such as B-1 or F-1, to the J status.

Two-Year Home Country Residence Requirement

This is a condition attached to some Exchange Visitors (EVs) who get J visa status under the following circumstances:

  • the Exchange Visitor received funds from the U.S. government, his/her own government, or an international organization funded by government;
  • the education, training, or skills that the Exchange Visitor is pursuing in the U.S. appear on the Exchange Visitor Skills List for his/her country published by the Department of State.
  • Foreign medical graduates receiving training in the U.S. under the sponsorship of the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).

EVs who become subject to the Two-year Home Residence Requirement are not eligible to change their visa status from J-1 to H (temporary worker), L (intra-company transferee), or an immigrant visa (“green card”), unless they return and reside in the country of their last permanent residence for two years after completing their programs in the U.S.

EVs who become subject, but do not wish to comply with the residence requirement may apply for a waiver from the U.S. Department of State during or after the completion of the program.

Note: Information and guidelines are available at DCISS will not be involved with the process of waiver application of EVs in any form. If an EV’s waiver application is approved by the Department of State or USCIS, DCISS will no longer issue a DS-2019 extension for a current EV.